NEW DELHI: In the wake of the violent face-off between the Indian and Chinese soldiers at the Galwan valley in eastern Ladakh on Monday, which led to the martyrdom of 20 Indian soldiers, the Department of Telecom (DoT) has reportedly asked the state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) not to use Chinese telecom gear in its 4G upgradation, which is being supported as part of the revival package for both the entities.
The development comes at a time when Indian and Chinese armies are engaged in a standoff in Pangong Tso, Galwan Valley, Demchok and Daulat Beg Oldie in eastern Ladakh. The violent clash stirred anti-China sentiments in the country, with protestors and traders bodies like CAIT calling to boycott Chinese products.
According to PTI sources, the Telecom department has asked both MTNL and BSNL not to use Chinese equipment in upgradation to 4G network. The department may also convey that the tender in this regard may need to be reworked.
The Telecom department is mulling to ask private players to bring down their dependency on Chinese-made telecom equipment. In the past, there have been concerns around network security of Chinese equipment, sources said.
Earlier yesterday, the Indian Railways also terminated its dedicated freight corridor contract with the Chinese firm due to “poor progress” on the signalling and telecommunication work on the Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor’s 417-km section between Kanpur and Mughalsarai.
“In view of poor progress, it is decided by Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India (DFCCIL) to terminate the contract with Beijing National Railway Research and Design Institute of Signal and Communication Group Co. Ltd”, Railways said in a statement.
Union Minister, Ramdas Athawale, also said that people should stop eating Chinese food apart from boycotting Made-in-China products. “My suggestion is that restaurants and hotels that sell Chinese food should be shut down. I also request those who eat Chinese food to stop eating them, boycott them,” Athawale said as quoted by news agency ANI.
Earlier on Wednesday, Chinese handset maker Oppo cancelled the Livestream launch of its flagship 5G smartphone in the country amid protests calling for the boycott of Chinese products in various parts of the country.