State government to roll out the flagship programme of ‘Jagananna Pallevelugu’ on 31st March evening to transfer maintenance of street lights to Gram Panchayats
Andhra Pradesh Minister for Panchayat Raj and Rural Development Peddireddi Ramachandra Reddy said that State government is going to roll out the flagship programme of ‘Jagananna Pallevelugu’ on 31st March-2021 to transfer the maintenance of LED street lighting to Gram Panchayats as part of revolutionary decision of Chief Minister
Peddi Reddy described the transfer of maintaining LED streetlights to Gram Panchayats as another“revolutionary step” by Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy who wants the government to be present at the doorsteps of the people.Speaking to officials during a review meeting on streetlights project, the Minister said that the government wants to revamp and strengthen the LED streetlights project because of its key role inimproving quality of life and living standards of people.
The improved light quality would enhance safety, security and visual comfort in villages, he said.On other hand, the government has noticed the inconvenience being faced by the people in villages due to delay in addressing the repair and maintenance of street lights by agencies. “The concept of government is that every service request/complaint of people is addressed in a shortest time possible. The Chief Minister established the village and ward secretariat system for uninterrupted delivery of government services to all citizens and reform grassroots administration. In view of this, the government decided to transfer maintenance of streetlights to Gram Panchayats” the Minister said.
The government wants to revamp the street lighting programme by ensuring that the non-glowing lights are resorted in 48 hours of the receipt of complaints and strengthen the LED street lighting system.
The State government issued orders (G.O.MS. No. 11) to transfer operation, repair and maintenance of energy efficient LED street lights project from EESL and NREDCAP to village secretariats. “The reason behind this decision is to address the complaints on LED street lighting quickly and empower Gram Panchayat system,” said a senior official of Panchayat Raj and Rural Development department (PR&RD) department.
The Panchayat Raj department will utilize the services of around 7,000 energy assistants in coordination with power Discoms for maintenance of street lights.The department willalso utilize the services of around 2 Lakh village volunteers in identifying and reporting of non-glowing LED street light complaints to village secretariats. The EESL conducted training programme to village secretariat staff on maintenance of streetlights.
The PR&RD department will also develop a comprehensive web portal for handling and monitoring the LED street lights complaints. The AP State Energy Efficiency Development Corporation Limited (APSEEDCO), a joint venture of AP power utilities is held responsible for distribution of spares from divisionallevel to panchayat level for smooth transfer of repair and maintenance activities and further monitoring ofthe project.
Principal Secretary of PR & RD Gopal Krishna Dwivedi informed the Minister that steps were being taken to install another four lakh LEDstreet lights in 2303 Gram Panchayats which have not been covered under the street lighting programme so far in addition to about 23.29 Lakhs of lights installed by EESL in 10382 GramPanchayats. It is estimated that the LED street lighting programme will help the Gram Panchayats to cumulatively save around 260 million units of electricity annually worth Rs 156 crore.
Secretary for Energy Srikant Nagulapalli gave directions to CMDs of Discoms to take necessary steps according to the orders of government on street lighting programme. The Gram Panchayat LED Street lighting program is the biggest in the country and one of the best energy efficiency programs in the world which will have positive impact on the people of the rural areas, he said
The Commissioner, PR&RD dept, M Girija Shankar said that the inauguration of Jagananna Palle Velugu programme will be conducted on 31st March-2021 in all district headquarters and three mandal headquarters in each district. State Ministers and senior officials will participate in the prestigious programme. Instructions have been issued to the district authorities of panchayat raj dept to make success of the inauguration program on 31st March-2021 evening, Girija Shankar said. Durga Prasad, OSD, PR &RD dept, A Sateesh, OSD, APSEEDCO and Krishna Mohan, Project manager, LED Street lighting program have participated in the program.
- This is another “revolutionary step” by Chief Minister to empower Gram Panchayats, says Minister for PR&RD Peddireddi Ramachandra Reddy
- Government wants to revamp the street lighting programme by addressing complaints on non-glowing lights in 48 hours
- Panchayat Raj department will utilize the services of around 7,000 energy assistants and around 2 Lakh village volunteers
- It will play key role in improving quality of life and living standards of people
- The concept of government is that every service request of people is addressed in a shortest time possible at their doorsteps
- Jagananna Pallevelugu will definitely become a role model to the country, says Minister
- Making all government services available in villages and address the needs of people in no time is the objective of Chief Minister
- Another four lakh LED street lights to be installed in 2303 Gram Panchayats
- PR&RD department will develop a web portal for handling and monitoring the LED street lights complaints
- Inauguration of JaganannaPalleVelugu programme programme will be conducted in all district headquarters and three mandal headquarters in each district
- The Gram Panchayat LED Street lighting program is the biggest in the country and one of the best energy efficiency programs in the world- Energy Secretary,GoAP