Independence Day 2020: This year, due to eruption of Covid-19 pandemic, almost every event & festival celebration has been mellowed down. With the ongoing battle against the pandemic, Independence Day celebrations, the biggest national festival of the country will undergo some major changes and it will be marked in a rather somber manner, marking shift from the traditional manner
Keeping in mind the required precautions, this year the Red Fort will witness I-day event like every year, but with slight difference. The event will be limited to presentation of Guard of Honour to the PM by Armed Forces and the Delhi Police, unfurling of the national flag, accompanied by playing of the national anthem, and firing of 21-gun salute, speech by Prime Minister, singing of national anthem, immediately after PM’s speech and release of tri-coloured balloons in the end.
What will be given a miss? There would no presence of school children this year, only the cadets of the National Cadet Corps would attend the celebrations at the Red Fort, news agency ANI reported citing sources.
- This year, only 20 per cent VVIPs or other participants will be able to witness the live speech of Prime Minister Narendra Modi compared to previous years. Till last year, at least 10,000 people used to attend the function to witness the speech of the prime minister.
- Social distancing guidelines will be adhered to during the function. Defence Secretary Ajay Kumar and ASI Director-General have asked the concerned officials to make arrangements keeping social distancing in mind.
- Similarly, unlike earlier times, VVIPs wouldn’t be able to sit at the rampart, from where the prime minister delivers Independence Day speech.
- Close to 900 VVIPs used to sit on the top on both sides earlier. But this time, they will have to sit at the lower level, with only around a hundred allowed.
- More significantly, as many as 1,500 Corona winners, who recovered from the disease, will attend the function. Among, them 500 would be from local police. The other 1,000 would be from different parts of the country.
- Police personnel can be present in PPE Kits, as per a report in Indian Express.
- It is reported that all personnel who will be participating in the function are likely to come in contact with the Prime Minister will remain in quarantine since the beginning of the month.
- The “At Home” reception which is held in the evening at Rashtrapati Bhavan will take place this year as well. Howver, it is not expected to be a grand affair